Egg Sandwich Recipes
to Make for a Picnic
An egg sandwich is usually made from hard-boiled eggs mashed or finely chopped either mixed with other ingredients or on their own.
Scrambling eggs is another way to prepare them for sandwiches. Scrambled eggs form a smoother,richer and softer mix.
Make the perfect boiled or scrambled eggs and use them to try out some of these recipes at your next picnic.
Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs
A perfect hard boiled egg has a firm white and yolk. They can be chopped or mashed to make a tasty filling for sandwiches.
- Use older eggs to make
hard-boiled eggs. The shell sticks to really
fresh eggs and makes them hard to peal.
- Simmer your eggs in really hot water. If they are boiled or cooked
too long eggs form a dark ring around the yolk.
- Place your eggs in a single layer on the bottom of a pan and cover with cold water.
- Bring the pan to a rapid boil and then remove it from the heat. Let it stand for up to 20 minutes depending on the size of your eggs. They will continue to cook in their own heat.
- As soon as the cooking time is over plunge the eggs into cold water. This will stop extra cooking and make them easier to peal.
- Peal the eggs while they are in the cold water. Crack them all over to break the shell. It is cleaner and easier to peal the eggs while they are under the water.
- Nothing is worse than tiny pieces of shell in your sandwich so rinse the eggs well to make sure no tiny bits of shell are left sticking to the outside.
- When you are making an egg sandwich chop the boiled eggs finely into a little mayonaise to keep the egg moist and add to the flavour. Too much will make the egg mushy so be careful only to use a little.
- Instead of chopping up hard-boiled eggs they can be scrambled to use in a sandwich.
8 large eggs, 1/2 cup of milk and a little salt and pepper in a bowl
with a fork until smooth.
- Heat a pan on the stove and add some butter.
When the butter is foaming swirl it around to cover the bottom of the
pan. Pour in the beaten egg mixture.
- Push the eggs from side to side
with a wooden spoon, moving the mixture constantly to prevent it sticking until the eggs form a clumps (about 2mins) Don't cook for too long or the
mixture will be dry.
- If you are making a sandwich you can add
flavouring to the mix. Curry, grated cheese. small fried bacon pieces,
chives, herbs. You are only limited by your imagination.
Some Ideas for Egg Sandwiches
Egg and Salad Sandwich
- 5 hard-boiled, chopped eggs
- 2 thinly sliced celery sticks,
- 1 sliced tomato
- 2 tbs finely chopped chives
- 1/2cup of mayonnaise
- Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices of buttered wholemeal bread
Stir mayonnaise, salt and pepper into the chopped eggs. Lay out 4 slices of bread and spread with the egg mixture. Top with celery, tomato and chives. Place the other slices over the filling.
Cut each sandwich in half. Makes 8 sandwiches.
Curried Egg Sandwich
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- 40g softened butter
- 12 slices wholemeal bread
- 2 punnets cress
the egg and mayonaise. Stir through the curry powder and chopped parsley.
Spread butter onto the wholemeal bread. Layout 6 slices and spread with
egg mixture. Top with cress and remaining slices of bread.
required and cut each sandwich in half. Makes 12 sandwiches.
Egg and Watercress Baguette
- 6 baguettes
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
2 cups of watercress
1/4 cup of sliced red onion
soft cream cheese
2 tbsps mayonaise
- i tbsps dijon mustard
1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1 pinch cayanne pepper
Slice through the baguette horizontally and butter the cut sides. Mash the eggs well and stir in the cream cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, curry powder and cayenne.This will make a really creamy egg mixture. Spread the egg mixture onto the baguette. Top with onion rings and watercress. Cut each baguette into convenient lengths and wrap tightly in plastic wrap to take to the picnic. Serves 12
Egg and Avocado Sandwich
eggs, peeled and chopped
celery, finely chopped
- 6 chopped lettuce leaves
- 6 sliced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 12 slices of wholemeal bread
Mash eggs, avocado, celery, and
mustard in a bowl with a fork until well mixed but still chunky. Lay out 6 slices of buttered wholemeal bread. Spread with half the egg mixture. Add tomato slices and lettuce.Season
with salt and pepper. Lay the remaning bread slices on top.
Cut the sandwiches in half. Serves 12.
Egg and Tomato Bagel
8oz soft cream cheese
1 jar horseradish sauce
small grated onion
8 eggs, scrambled
- 6 tomatoes sliced
Chopped fresh dill
Freshly ground pepper
- 12 rolls or bagels
Mix eggs, cream cheese, horseradish, and onion well. Split the rolls horizontally and spread with the egg mixture. Top with tomato slices and lettuce Season with dill and pepper.
Replace the top on the rolls and wrap tightly to take to the picnic. Serves 12
Stacked Egg and Lettuce Sandwiches
- 4 eggs hard-boiled, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 shredded lettuce leaves
- 3 thin slices white bread
- 3 thin slices multigrain bread
- 3 thin slices wholemeal bread
- 40g softened butter
Combine egg and mayonnaise in a medium bowl. Add lettuce. Stir until well combined. Season.
1 side of each slice of bread with butter. Divide egg mixture evenly
between white and multigrain slices. Place multigrain slices, egg-side
up, on top of white slices. Top with wholemeal slices, butter-side down.
Trim the crusts and cut each sandwich in half. Makes 6 sandwiches.
More Sandwich Fillings Using Eggs
There are masses of ingredients you can add to egg to make tasty sandwiches. Chop fillings fairly small to make them easier to eat and season well with salt and pepper.
Try some of these and invent some of your own::
- Egg and Chutney. You can use a wide variety of chutneys. Have alook on the supermarket shelf or in your cupboard.
- Egg and Sprouts
- Egg and Chopped Gerkins
- Egg, anchovies and mustard. No need to add salt to this one.
- Egg with tomato, lettuce, grated carrtot and sliced olives
- Egg with lettuce, cucumber, grated carrot, grated cheese and mayonnaise
Fried Egg Sandwiches for a BBQ
If you are having a BBQ you can add a fried egg sandwich to your menu.
A fried egg sandwich can include bacon, sausage, hamburger, tomatoes mushrooms, onions. In fact just about anything you are cooking on your BBQ.
Cut your food into convenient size pieces to make the sandwich easy to eat.
You will need a flat bun or a bagel.
- Cut it open. You can toast the inside on the BBQ plate if you like.
- Decide what you want on your egg sandwich.Cook sausages, steak, bacon and onions first. Fry your egg last. It cooks more quickly than most BBQ food.
- When you are ready to eat your sandwich pile your ingredients on the bottom of the roll.
- Scrape your BBQ plate clean. Add some butter and when it is sizzling break an egg gently on to it.
- Fold the egg white slowly into the centre with a spatula. When the white of egg starts to bubble and the yolk firms slide your spatula under the egg to loosen it from the plate. You can then either splash a bit of melted butter into the yolk or flip the egg over to cook the top.
- Slide the egg onto your prepared sandwich. If you are including salad, coleslaw or gerkins pile them on top of the egg. Add any ketchup, tomato or BBQ sauce that you like.
- The other half of the bun forms the sandwich.
Enjoy Your Sandwich!
Return from Egg Sandwiches to Picnic Sandwiches
Return from Egg Sandwiches to Great Picnic Ideas
Images on this page by malsuyuki, georginamary, savenejebus, Tavallai, goodiesfirst, nathanmac87, Lara604, Rubyran, jimbrickett