Choosing Sunglasses for Kids
Choose fun and bright sunglasses for kids.
When they are at a picnic kids just want to start playing. But young eyes are especially sensitive to the sun's UV rays and need the protection of sunglasses when kids are out-of-doors.
It is no good buying good sunglasses if they are kept in a bag or taken off the moment Mum or Dad are out of sight.
Make sure your kids actually wear their sunglasses.
If children's glasses are fun to wear they will be more likely to keep
- Let kids help to choose their own sunglasses. They will feel proud that they are fashionable, trendy and the envy of their friends. Peer pressure is the greatest way
to get everyone wearing sunglasses.
- Be a good role model. If adults are wearing sunglasses children will copy them.
- Start young. Not only do babies and toddlers need eye protection but starting young begins a habit for the rest of their lives.
Kids are hard on their glasses. When they have finished running, jumping or playing they are liable to sit on them. Younger children will chew the frames, try to straighten them, throw them around and generally cause havoc. So make sure their glasses will be up to the rough and tumble of everyday life. Here are some extra tips to consider when choosing sunglasses for your kids.
Frames to Look For
- Look for large, close well fitting frames that will provide a wide area of coverage and protect eyes the sun and dust.
- Strong, flexible frames are less likely to snap with heavy use.
- Hinges are one of the most vunerable part of the frame. Hinges with a spring are stronger and firmer than those that just fold down. They are easier to fold without snapping and will hold the glasses snugly to the child's face.
- A wide strap is a good addition to a frame. It can hold the glasses firmly to the head during sports or active play. A strap will hold glasses around the neck so that they won't get lost when not being used.
Great for babies and toddlers, these glasses come in a wide range of colours. They
have a wrap around cord to use or not as you prefer. Best of all they
are virtually indestructable.
on Sunglasses for Kids
- Most kids lead a very active life and they need sunglasses to match. Try to find lenses that will withstand knocks and hits.
- Scratch resistant lenses will help the glasses to be usable for longer.
- Glass shatters easily and is heavy to wear. A study plastic makes the best lens especially for kids.
- Polycarbonate lenses are stronger than standard plastic, scratch-resistant and light.
- Look for lenses that block at least 98 per cent of the sun's UV rays that harm the eyes.
- Polarized lenses reduce glare in bright sunlight and are definately the best you can buy.
A pair of ultra cool mirror shades for growing kids. They are available in some really beaut colours.
If you spend some time choosing sunglasses for kids you will end up with a pair that are fun, comfortable, safe and just right for your family.
The sunglasses on
this page are available from Amazon.com. Just click the image to find
out more about them or visit The Picnic Shop for more choices.
Return from Sunglasses for Kids to The Best Sunglasses
Return from Sunglasses for Kids to Great Picnic Ideas